55 Years of WNS
The Weekday Nursery School (WNS) is an integral part of the Christian education program at the Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church. We believe that young children learn best through hands-on experiences. Play is essential as the foundation for academic learning. We strive to provide opportunities for young children to explore the world around them by using developmentally appropriate materials. Seven bright and fully equipped classrooms and a wonderful play yard provide for lively conversations, opportunities for crafts, creative play, running, and climbing, plus lots of love and understanding from a staff of 25.
Additional information about the program:
- Parent-led school visits begin in October with registration taking place through February.
- Applications are due in the WNS Office by the last day of February for the following school year.
- Children ages 1 to 5 participate in this program, which operates from September 9, 2013 to May 30, 2014.
- Four-year-olds attend five mornings or five afternoons; 3-year-olds attend two, three, or five mornings or three afternoons; 2-year-olds attend two mornings or afternoons, and toddlers attend one morning a week.
- Morning sessions run from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. while the afternoon sessions run from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Four afternoons a week, we have our “Lunch Bunch” where three- and four-year-olds bring their lunch and spend time playing together until 2:30 p.m.
- Depending on the need, “Early Drop Off” is provided every morning from 8:30 to 9 a.m. in Westminster Hall.
- Read more about each of our programs.
Parents are encouraged and welcome to participate in a variety of ways in the operation of the Weekday Nursery School.
- In the three- and four-year-old classes, parents may choose to “co-op” – come in once or twice a month to assist in the classroom.
- The end-of-the-year Family Barbecue is always a treat for the families in the school. It is an afternoon filled with great food, a moonbounce, face painting, singing, and storyteller or musician.
- Twice a year (on Oct. 26 and May 3 in 2013) we have Parent Fix-up Days where parents “beautify” the school with painting, building shelves and cabinets, and yard work.
- Meetings with Parent Education speakers are open to the church families and friends. Topics are pertinent to issues for families of preschoolers. Further information and dates will be listed in the appropriate church bulletins.
We invite you to come and visit or call us for more information. For school tours, please call to set up an appointment. Our phone number is 202-363-2209 and our email address is WNS@chevychasepc.org.
Openings for 2013-2014
There are still a few openings available for this school year. Contact the WNS office for more information.
Applications for 2014-2015
Applications are due by February 28, 2014.
Placement letters will be mailed on March 15.
Download the application form for the 2014-2015 program year.