Weekday Nursery School
54 Years of WNS
The Weekday Nursery School (WNS) is an integral part of the Christian Education program at the Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church. We believe that young children learn best through hands-on experiences. Play is essential as the foundation for academic learning. We strive to provide opportunities for young children to explore the world around by using developmentally appropriate materials. Seven bright and fully equipped classrooms and a wonderful play yard provide for lively conversations, opportunities for crafts, creative play, running and climbing, plus lots of love and understanding from a staff of 28.
Additional information about the program:
- Parent-led school visits begin in October with registration taking place through February.
- Applications are due in the WNS Office by the last day of February for the following school year.
- Children ages 1-5 participate in this program operating September 10, 2012 through June 1, 2013.
- Four-year-olds attend five mornings or five afternoons; 3-year-olds attend two, three, or five mornings or three afternoons; 2-year-olds attend two mornings or afternoons, and toddlers attend one morning a week.
- Morning sessions run from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon while the afternoon sessions run from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Four afternoons a week we have our "Lunch Bunch" where 3- and 4-year-olds bring their lunch and spend time playing together until 2:30 p.m.
- Depending on the need, "Early Drop Off" is provided every morning from 8:30 - 9 a.m. in Westminster Hall.
- Read more about each of our programs.
Parents are encouraged and welcome to participate in a variety of ways in the operation of the Weekday Nursery School.
- In the 3- and 4-year-old classes, parents may choose to "co-op" - come in once or twice a month to assist in the classroom.
- The end-of-the-year Family Barbecue is always a treat for the families in the school. It is an afternoon filled with great food, a moonbounce, face painting, singing, and storyteller or musician.
- Twice a year, this year on Oct. 27 and May 4, we have Parent Fix-up Days where parents "beautify" the school with painting, building shelves and cabinets, and yard work.
- Meetings with Parent Education speakers are open to the church families and friends. Topics are pertinent to issues for families of preschoolers. Further information and dates will be listed in the appropriate church bulletins.
Applications for 2013-2014
Applications are due by February 28, 2013.
Placement letters will be mailed on March 15.